We recommend that all employees evaluate their withholding annually to make adjustments based on changing tax rates and family dynamics. If you are unsure what to claim, please consult with a certified professional accountant. Personnel and Payroll staff cannot assist you with this calculation.
You should especially consider updating your W-4 if:
- You recently got married (or divorced);
- You recently got (or quit) a secondary job;
- Your spouse got (or quit) a secondary job;
- You had a baby (or adopted one); and/or
- You experienced the loss of a spouse or dependent child.
It’s easy to adjust your withholding electronically through Workday. From the main Workday desktop that you see upon logging in, click on the Pay worklet/app (wallet icon). Then select the Withholding Elections button, and the Update button on the following screen. From there you can easily walk through a short series of calculation questions. Performing this task annually will help ensure that you aren’t withholding too much or too little for next year’s tax bill.
You may find this tool to be helpful: